Pages

Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Staple Dress

It has been YEARS since I have done any clothes sewing for myself. I think the last thing I made was a bridesmaids dress in 2006. I have been a regular op shopper for clothes for the past few years - I hate big name brands unless I can say I got it for less than $5 from Vinnies. Anyway, I decided to turn my wardrobe round since nothing fits me anymore (2 months of the worst chest infection ever straight after having a baby lost me a lotta weight - but I seriously don't recommend it) and have a more handmade focus.
So first off the rank is April Rhodes The Staple Dress. What an easy gorgeous fun pattern! No interfacing, no zips, no button holes - but there is shirring. But I was surprised at how easy it was to do - I even did 6 rows of it. I made it as a medium but I think next time I will do a small up top - it is just a bit roomy there! I also adjusted the neck line a bit - I just copied a neckline on a top I already owned and loved.
Yay staple dress
The fabric is a cotton poplin from Spotlight but I can't wait to do a voile dress in it! I think it would be divine!
Took it on its maiden voyage today - with a pair of leggings underneath and got lots of compliments and surprised faces when I told them I made it. Staple Dress number 2 is in the works - this time some lovely batik fabric a friend had bought me back from Indonesia.
Excuse my exotic pose against the cradle #yayitfits #thestapledress #stapledress

1 comment:

  1. Well done! Looks great! Will be wonderful across 3seasons number-unless you're a Queenslander where it'll be good all year!

    ReplyDelete